CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 4, 2009

O quam cito transit gloria mundi!

Translation: O how quickly passes the glory of the world!


Here's a minor homage to some famous (and infamous) people who passed in 2008.


Vampira - You can't love campy horror without loving Maila Nurmi.


Heath Ledger - Sure he was too young but how many thousands of young people are enmeshed in addiction? I was irritated by how much energy was focused on yet another actor overdosing (although here I am, contributing to the same).


Charlton Heston - I'd get weak for anyone who was in Planet of the Apes and head of the N.R.A.


John Archibald Wheeler - Mmmm...physics...


Yves Saint Laurent - Mmmm...cosmetics and haute couture...


George Carlin - Mmmm...satire and blasphemy...


Isaac Hayes - I will miss Chef.


Bernie Mac - I didn't realize the soft spot I held for him until he was no longer able to create the light and dry yet hilarious comedy that was his legacy.


Bill Melendez - A Charlie Brown Christmas and The Great Pumpkin. Need I say more?


Paul Newman - My landlady was sitting on the ground stroking our building's 15-year-old alley cat aptly named Mr. Magoo when I walked by. She asked how Conan was doing as it was the one-year anniversary of when he had put Spot down (his cat and friend of 14-15 years). After my response she looked listfully in the distance and said, "It's the cycle, I guess. The cycle of life." She went on about how the beautiful tree in the front yard was dying and had to be cut down; as I was about to walk away she asks, "And did you hear? Paul Newman passed away this morning. The cycle of life..." and shook her head with great melancholy. Uhhh...


Michael Crichton - Sorry, mom, no more disaster stories.


Betty Page - Ahh, my hero. As a woman I've looked to her as an example of strength and confidence. She was not afraid to be who she was and let that stand alone as the reason for her actions, even during an era where those actions were shunned.


Eartha Kitt - "And in the theatre I want to change my seat, just so I can step on everybody's feet...I want to be evil, I want to be bad."


Rest in Peace, all.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

I love how you went back and posted a comment on all last years posts:)... I didn't know if I should approve all your comments but I went ahead and did anyway... I LOVE you more then MONEY!!!!!

Miss T said...

Booggggerrrrr stinky face! I love the new blog. Wow actually something interesting to read for real. I knew you always had a knack for writing.

Come back already! Sushi was soooo good. Love you.